Background Check: History of US & Western intervention in Iraq – 1950 until the 2003 Iraq War
In this video produced by The Real News Network professor of international studies at Trinity College Connecticut and the author of 18 books, Vijay Prashad, talks about the history of Iraq and role of that the US and Western countries played in that country from the late 1950s until the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.The followings topics are addressed in this video:
- When did Saddam Hussein come into power? And how did the West support his massacres?
- Who provided Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons? And what effects did this have on the Kurdish people as well as on Iran?
- Why did Saddam Hussein march into Kuwait in 1990? Did the US approve of this attack?
- What effects did the sanctions imposed by the US on Iraq throughout the 90s have on the people there? And how did the US view its policy?
VIDEO: History of US & Western intervention in Iraq
To read the transcript of this video, click here.To view our work with Vijay Prashad, click here.
Donate today so we can translate & outreach content of independent media outlets!
ABOUT VIJAY PRASHAD
He is the author of 18 books, including Arab Spring, Libyan Winter (AK Press, 2012), The Poorer Nations: A Possible History of the Global South (Verso, 2013) and The Death of a Nation and the Future of the Arab Revolution (University of California Press, 2016).
To watch our videos with Vijay Prashad, click here.
Citation of featured image:
- Link: https://southbendvoice.com/2014/10/15/report-abandoned-western-supplied-chemical-weapons-found-in-iraq/
- Author: Unknown (Please contact us so we can cite you accordingly – we were unable to find the author) No copyright infringement intended
- Source: Unknown (Please contact us so we can cite you accordingly – we were unable to find the author) No copyright infringement intended