In this video we talk to Professor of Economics Emeritus (University of Massachusetts), Marxist economist and founder of Democracy at Work, Richard D. Wolff, about George Orwell’s famous book called “1984”, and in particular, the excerpts pertaining to the military expenditure and war. In addition we also discuss the rationale behind the $700 billion U.S. military budget and why it continues to grow in scope. Lastly we touch upon the left’s perspective on work and whether the goal should be full employment or the emancipation of labour from work.
To view our educational playlist with Richard D. Wolff, click here.
VIDEO: George Orwell, the Military Industrial Complex & the Emancipation of Labour
Donate today to support independent & non-profit media!Click here or on the picture below:
ABOUT RICHARD WOLFF
Richard D. Wolff is Professor of Economics Emeritus, University of Massachusetts, Amherst. He is currently a Visiting Professor in the Graduate Program in International Affairs of the New School University in New York. Wolff has also taught economics at Yale University, City University of New York, and the University of Paris I (Sorbonne).
He is a co-founder and contributor of Democracy at Work, a non-profit organization that promotes democratic workplaces as a key part of a transition to a better economic system. Wolff has published many books and articles, both scholarly and popular. Most recently, in 2012, he published the books Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism (Haymarket Books) and Contending Economic Theories: Neoclassical, Keynesian, and Marxian, with Stephen Resnick (Cambridge, MA, and London: MIT University Press). The New York Times Magazine has named him “America’s most prominent Marxist economist.
Citation-List of YouTube & Facebook Video: „Richard D. Wolff on George Orwell, the Military Industrial Complex & the Emancipation of Labour”
- commons.wikimedia.org (1911) – „ Pyramid of Capitalist System“ – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pyramid_of_Capitalist_System.jpg – Author: Artist not credited. Published by International Pub. Co., Cleveland, Ohio – Source: Uni Hamburg
- commons.wikimedia.org (24.08.1875) – „Datei:Karl Marx 001.jpg“ –https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Karl_Marx_001.jpg // Author: John Jabez Edwin Mayall, Source: International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- www.youtube.com (19.09.2017) – „Marine pollution, 1st theme of the 2017 #OurOcean conference” , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dron6aW4UKk // Author: European Commission
- https://www.statista.com (31.05.2016) – “America’s Biggest Defense Contractors” , https://www.statista.com/chart/4929/americas-biggest-defense-contractors // Author: Niall McCarthy and/or Statista
- www.youtube.com (23.01.2016) – „U.S. MARINES IN IRAQ. REAL COMBAT – HEAVY CLASHES | WAR IN IRAQ“ – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Movod0d-Ruo // Quelle: War Clashes YouTube Kanal
- www.nationalpriorities.org (03.04.2017) – „The Militarized Budget 201” , https://www.nationalpriorities.org/analysis/2017/militarized-budget-2017, Author: Institute for Policy Studies