Yanis Varoufakis: Why the Universal Basic Income is a Necessity – VIDEO
In this video former finance minister of Greece, professor of economics, author and founder of the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 (DiEM25), Yanis Varoufakis, argues why the Basic Income is a necessity today. His arguments take into account a macro socio-economic, psychological, philosophical and moral perspective. In addition after the speech Varoufakis addresses a wide range of questions from the public.
- What is the social democratic tradition about? And how did influence Capitalism in the 20th century?
- Why is Social Democracy coming to an end? And how is the process of financialization & the rise of technology contributing to its demise?
- What is Bankruptocracy? What problems is it posing to our society?
- What is the current narrative on the relationship between the markets & state in terms of wealth generation? And how and why is a change required in this narrative in order to make the Basic Income a reality?
- What are the arguments are against a Basic Income? And how should they be confronted?
- How is a Basic Income aligned with the Libertarian philosophy? Will it promote freedom of choice and self-determination?
- How will a Basic Income promote creativity in our society?
All of these questions and many more are addressed in this video:
Before you proceed to watch this video, please remember to donate to our current Crowdfunding campaign. We do not allow advertisements nor do we accept money from corporations or governments with the intention of retaining our editorial indepedence, hence our future depends only on you – the public. Please donate today by visiting this link: https://www.betterplace.org/en/projects/51400-actvism-munich-crowdfunding
VIDEO: Yanis Varoufakis – Why the Universal Basic Income is a Necessity
To read this speech, click here: Transcript: Varoufakis – Basic Income is a Necessity
To read & view our work on the Universal Basic Income, click here.
NOTE: The video was originally published by the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute.
SUGGESTED VIDEO: Varoufakis & Chomsky on a Basic Income
About Yanis Varoufakis:
As finance minister of Greece he resigned shortly after he found out that his prime minister decided to cave into the austerity program of the Troika that the majority of Greece rejected in the historic OXI vote.
To view our entire video playlist with Yanis Varoufakis and DiEM25, click here.
Upcoming Yanis Varoufakis & DiEM25 Project that requires your assistance!
On the 25th of May 2017, we are planning to cover an event in Berlin that is being organized by the pan-European progressive movement founded by Yanis Varoufakis called the “Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 (DiEM25)”. This will include a report about the event as well as an interview with Yanis Varoufakis in English & German.
At this event DiEM25 will present an economic plan called the “European New Deal” which is aimed at revitalizing Europe’s economy and countering the centrifugal forces that are currently tearing apart the union.
However as an independent and non-profit organization, we lack the financial and technical resources – please assist us with a donation today so that we can make this plan a reality:
Every donation can assist us in realizing this project!
We require donations to help realize our plans for:
- Camera & Equipment that will be used to video record the event which will then be translated, synchronized & published into German alongside the original English version. Euro 430 is required.
- Transport and lodging costs for our members who will travel from across Germany in order to volunteer. Euro 250 is required.
- Email: email@example.com
Donate via Crowdfunding (more payment options):
Donate via Bank Transfer:
- Account holder: acTVism Munich e.V.
- Bank: GLS Bank
- IBAN: DE89430609678224073600
- Account-No.: 8224073600
- BLZ: 43060967
- BIC: GENODEM1GLS