FULL EVENT VIDEO: Freedom & Democracy – Global Issues in Context
At the end of the Second World War a new era of globalization of capital and production began that continues on today and is enforced through manifold free trade agreements. Another turning point was 9/11. Since then, an increased military presence and an expanding security apparatus is leading to more surveillance and violence in the name of national security.
In addition, the disparity between rich and poor is growing ever larger and global society is experiencing the increasing regression of stability and civil rights. The current wars in the Middle East, the possible ignition of a new Cold War, terrorism and surveillance, financial crises, poverty as well as the flight of refugees or environmental catastrophe are all unfortunate and disastrous signs of our time.
Are these events interconnected? Can we see a pattern? Are they taken out of context or completely ignored? On the 15th of January 2017 at the Muffatwerk in Munich we spoke with international experts about supposed structures and connections to find out if and how we can make a change for the better of all.Topics & Experts:
- History and urgency of political activism and grassroots movements with Srećko Horvat
- Function and role of independent and mainstream media with Paul Jay
- Freedom and democracy in the current economic system with Ricard D. Wolff
- US foreign policy and the military industrial complex with Jeremy Scahill
- Western foreign policy and Germany’s role with Jürgen Todenhöfer
- Privacy, civil rights and mass surveillance with Edward Snowden
Don’t forget to donate to our current Crowdfunding campaign so that we can host the event “Freedom & Democracy: Global Issues in Context 2.0” again next year as well as interview Edward Snowden in Russia: https://www.betterplace.org/en/projects/51400-actvism-munich-crowdfunding