In this educational video Medea Benjamin, the co-founder of CODEPINK, author and activist, talks about the military industrial complex – its history and the cultural role it plays in our society. In addition Benjamin surfaces the effects that the military industrial complex has on our democracy and security and whether mainstream media and politics undertake an adequate job on shedding light on it.
VIDEO: The Military Industrial Complex & Activism – Part 1
To view our past videos on the military industrial complex, click here.
Donate today to support independent & non-profit media!Click here or on the picture below:
ABOUT MEDEA BENJAMINMedea Benjamin is the co-founder of the women-led peace group CODEPINK and the co-founder of the human rights group Global Exchange. She has been an advocate for social justice for more than 40 years. Described as “one of America’s most committed — and most effective — fighters for human rights” by New York Newsday, and “one of the high profile leaders of the peace movement” by the Los Angeles Times, she was one of 1,000 exemplary women from 140 countries nominated to receive the Nobel Peace Prize on behalf of the millions of women who do the essential work of peace worldwide. She is the author of nine books, including Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control and Kingdom of the Unjust: Behind the U.S.-Saudi Connection, and her articles appear regularly in outlets such as The Huffington Post, CommonDreams, Alternet, The Other Words, and TeleSUR.
ABOUT CODEPINKCODEPINK is a women-led grassroots organization working to end U.S. wars and militarism, support peace and human rights initiatives, and redirect our tax dollars into healthcare, education, green jobs and other life-affirming programs.
Citation – YouTube & Facebook Video „The Military Industrial Complex & Activism – Part 1 | With Medea Benjamin”:
- www.youtube.com (19.01.2011) – „Eisenhower’s “Military-Industrial Complex” Speech Origins and Significance” , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-jvHynP9Y, Author: US National Archives
- www.cnbc.com (22.05.2017) – „Defense stocks soar to all-time highs on $110 billion US-Saudi Arabia weapons deal ” – www.cnbc.com/2017/05/22/defense-stocks-rally-on-110-billion-us-saudi-arabia-weapons-deal.html, Author: Lauren Thomas
- www.opensecrets.org (2017) – „Defense” , https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?cycle=2018&ind=D, Author: opensecrets.org
- https://www.statista.com (31.05.2016) – “America’s Biggest Defense Contractors” , https://www.statista.com/chart/4929/americas-biggest-defense-contractors, Author: Niall McCarthy and/or Statista
- markets.businessinsider.com (07.04.2017) – „Defense stocks jump after US missile strike on Syria (RTN, LMT, BA)” , https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/defense-stocks-rise-after-syria-strike-raytheon-lockheed-martin-boeing-april-7-2017-4-1001906661-1001906661, Author: Greg Hoffman
- www.vox.com (21.09.2017) – „Read: Bernie Sanders’s big foreign policy speech” , https://www.vox.com/world/2017/9/21/16345600/bernie-sanders-full-text-transcript-foreign-policy-speech-westminster, Author:
www.nationalpriorities.org (03.04.2017) – „The Militarized Budget 201” , https://www.nationalpriorities.org/analysis/2017/militarized-budget-2017, Author: Institute for Policy Studies
- www.youtube.com (29.01.2015) – „“Get out of here you low life scum.” (C-SPAN)” , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9In2fNs84, Author: C-SPAN